Creamy vegan broccoli and garlic soup – a super healthy comfort food lunch or dinner that packs plenty of flavour
Vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, light meals, healthy, easy
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 30min | Total time: 40 mins
This creamy broccoli and garlic soup is just what you need if you’re feeling under the weather. Garlic is very good for you when you are sick. It’s full of natural antibiotics to help your body fight of infection. Health benefits aside, the strong flavour can be very appealing if your taste buds are affected.
Broccoli is one of the healthiest foods there is. A member of the cruciferous vegetable family, it boasts anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It’s rich in immunity boosting vitamin C. It’s full of fibre, so it’s great for your gut health. You can’t go wrong with broccoli. This recipes uses the stalk as well, so nothing’s wasted.
This is a comforting soup. It’s made creamy with the broccoli stalks, spuds and almond milk. Despite all this, it’s very low calorie at only 114 calorie per bowl. The garlic and white pepper give it a nice kick to keep things exciting.
Broccoli and garlic soup ingredients
- 1 head broccoli (chopped, stalk included)
- 400g potatoes (chopped into chunks)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 5 l veg stock
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ½ bag rocket
- 100ml almond milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sauté the carrot and onion in olive oil until soft
- Add the garlic and fry for another minute or two
- Add the potato, broccoli and stock
- Simmer until soft, about 20-30 mins
- Add the almond milk and blend until smooth with a stick blender
- Taste and add the white pepper, plus salt if you think it needs it
- Add the rocket and blend again – this add nice little green flecks through the soup
For another comforting soup, try my basic potato soup recipe – and customise as you see fit!