Roast baby potato & Brussels sprout salad – a warm salad with roasted baby potatoes, Brussels sprouts, crunchy veg, pomegranate and preserved lemon
Vegan, vegetarian, side dish, light meals, dairy free, gluten free
Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: 30 Mins | Total time: 35 mins
This is a potato salad with a difference. It’s best served warm, but works cold as well if you have left overs. If you think you hate Brussels sprouts, I implore you to give this a try. It’s miles away from the unwelcome soggy boiled sprouts you might find in a Christmas dinner. Roasted together with the baby potatoes, they turn this salad into a hearty dish.
The mange tout and radish add crunch and freshness to the roast baby potato & Brussels spout salad. The flavour comes from the sweet, bright pomegranate and preserved lemon. You can buy preserved lemon in some supermarkets and delis but making your own has added probiotic benefits. You can find recipes online, it’s very easy. Basically stuff some unwaxed lemons with salt, shove them in a jar and leave them for a few weeks.
This makes for an exciting side dish – leafy salads don’t really cut it in the winter. Combine with a couple of other salads (maybe some red cabbage slaw?) for a tasty healthy bowl meal. Or serve alongside some chicken or pork.
Ingredients – roast baby potato & Brussels sprout salad
- 250g baby potatoes (halved)
- 200g Brussels sprouts (halved)
- 100g mange tout or sugar snap peas (chopped)
- 100g radish (sliced)
- ½ pomegranate (seeds)
- 1 ½ tbsp preserved lemon (finely chopped)
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Roast the baby potatoes and Brussels sprouts in a large roasting tin with a drizzle of olive oil for 30 mins, until tender and starting to brown
- When the potatoes and sprouts are done, add the mange tout, radish, pomegranate and preserved lemon – include any juice released from the pomegranate in your attempt to remove the seeds
- Give it all a really good mix in the roasting tin and taste for seasoning – the lemons are salty so you may not need to add any
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately
For another fresh salad featuring pomegrante, try my sesame and pomegranate salad recipe.