This dairy-free, gluten-free Pavlova recipe, topped with coconut cream and berries is a perfect light summer dessert
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 2 hours + cooling time | Total time: 2 hours 20 mins
A heart shaped pav-love-a, dairy-free and loaded with summer berries, this light dessert is perfect for BBQs. Using coconut cream makes this dairy-free and it’s gluten-free like most pavlovas. Because it suits different diets, it’s a good one to bring along to family gatherings. Your aunties will be impressed with how pretty it looks too!
Leave yourself plenty time, it’s best to make your meringue the night before so it can cool slowly in the oven overnight. You can get adventurous and try other shapes, let me know how you get on!
- 3 egg whites
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 chilled tin full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 punnet blueberries
- 1 punnet strawberries (hulled and halved)
- Fresh mint leaves
- Heat oven to 150 (to cook in 1 hour) or 100 (to cook for 2 hours) – the longer and slower, the whiter your meringue
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks
- Whisk in the caster sugar until smooth
- Place a baking paper on a baking tray, and either draw a heart shape, or create your meringue free-hand, layering it about an inch or so thick and making the edges a little higher
- Bake meringue depending on your oven temp/time restrictions
- Leave to cool in the oven without opening the door for at least 2 hours and preferably overnight
- Whip the thick cream from the top of the chilled coconut milk with the icing sugar for 5 mins
- Spread the coconut cream on the meringue (you might not need it all) and top with the berries, and a few mint leaves
For another gluten-free, dairy-free dessert idea, take a look at my chocolate coconut bundt cake. It’s smothered with a rich chocolately coconut cream ganache. A perfect decadent treat!